Yenagoa—The Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) says it has not conducted its National Executive Council elections, urging the public to disregard any fake information regarding a purported election conducted to install a new leadership.
The foremost Ijaw youth body disclosed that its NEC election has been rescheduled to hold on the 22nd and 23rd of July 2023 and the venue is to be fixed by the National Electoral Committee.
In a statement issued at the end of its National Convention on Wednesday and signed by its deputy president, Comr. Saviour Olali and other top-ranking members, the IYC took a swipe at its former president, Peter Igbifa for allegedly fomenting trouble in the organization.
The IYC, according to the statement, has henceforth barred Igbifa from further associating with the group.
It called on the Bayelsa State Police Command to arrest anyone “who parades himself as a winner of any IYC elections outside the one to be conducted on the 22nd and 23rd of July 2023.”
The IYC thanked Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State for his efforts to ensure the council conducts a united and hitch-free election.
The communique reads in full:
A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE NATIONAL CONVENTION OF THE IJAW YOUTH COUNCIL (IYC) ON THE 19TH OF JULY, 2023 AT THE IJAW HOUSE, YENAGOA
1. That the tenure of the 8th National Executive Council of the Ijaw Youth Council expires at 11:59 pm on the 19th of July 2023 and in line with the IYC Constitution and conventional practices of the Council, the Speaker of the Mobile Parliament Rt. Hon. Bob Collins Igetei will take the reins of leadership as acting President of IYC and midwife for the ongoing transition.
2. The suspension of the Electoral Committee Chairman Urang Solomon be and is hereby affirmed for deliberately frustrating the IYC transition process as he did to the Eastern Zone when he was nominated by the same Peter Timothy Igbifa as Zonal Electoral Committee Chairman of the Eastern Zone of IYC. Congress went further to adopt Comrade Gilpin Okeseisima as the new National Electoral Committee Chairman of the IYC.
3. The Eastern Zone was immediately directed by Congress to nominate a Member to the National Electoral Committee to fill the vacuum of the new Electoral Committee Chairman Comrade Gilpin Okeseisima.
4. Congress affirmed that the date of the election is hereby rescheduled for the 22nd and 23rd of July 2023 with the venue to be fixed by the National Electoral Committee.
5. That Peter Timothy Igbifa should not be accorded the privileges of a former President of the Ijaw Youth Council due to the atrocities he consistently committed against Ijaw People and consequently his portrait should never be seen amongst the former Presidents of the Ijaw Youth Council at the Ijaw House Yenagoa or any other Secretariat of the Ijaw Youth Council.
6. The general public should disregard any fake information with regards to any election already conducted to bring in the 9th National Executive Council of IYC as that is the clandestine move of Peter Timothy Igbifa and his few cohorts.
7. Congress unanimously agreed that Peter Timothy Igbifa and his co-travellers in this shameful quest of bringing Council to disrepute be barred indefinitely from participating in Council activities.
8. Congress humbly calls on the Commissioners of Police of both Rivers and Bayelsa States to apprehend anyone who parades himself as a winner of any IYC elections outside the one to be conducted on the 22nd and 23rd of July 2023.
9. Congress deeply thanks the Governor General of Ijaw Nation, His Excellency Sen. Douye Diri for all his sacrifices and fatherly commitments in order to give Council a united and hitch-free election, efforts which Peter Timothy Igbifa had always deliberately laboured to frustrate.
10. Congress also thank the Honourable Commissioner for Ijaw Affairs Bayelsa State, the Special Adviser to the Bayelsa Governor on Ijaw Affairs, Past Presidents of the IYC, Elders and Leaders of the IYC for their numerous sacrifices during this all-important transition period of the Council.
11. Congress also recognize and thank the delegates and other members of the Council for their enormous sacrifices in order to achieve a smooth transition, while also thanking all the Aspirants for the various offices for their steadfastness and deep faith in the process.
12. Conclusively, Congress wishes everyone a safe trip back to their destinations until we reconvene on the 22nd of July 2023.
Signed for and on behalf of Council
1. Comrade Saviour Olali Deputy President IYC
2. Comrade Frank Pukon National Secretary IYC
3. Comrade Obiri Ebilade
National Legal Adviser IYC
4. Rt. Hon. Bob Collins Igetei
Speaker IYC 5th Mobile Parliament
5. Hon. Irene Kaladapa Jumbo
Deputy Speaker IYC 5th Mobile Parliament
6. Prince O. Okenema
Clerk of the IYC 5th Mobile Parliament
7. Comrade Clever Inodu Chairman Central Zone IYC
8. Dr. Doubra Collins Okotete
Chairman Western Zone IYC
9. Comrade Adams Marbo Ogomugo Chairman Abuja Chapter IYC
10. Comrade Tikima Arigban
Chairman IYC Lagos Chapter