Varsity student dies from illicit drug overdose in Bayelsa

Otuoke—A 19-year-old male student of the Federal University of Otuoke (FUO), Bayelsa State, identified as Job Alawari-Kei, has reportedly died from an illicit drug overdose.

The deceased, a 300-level student of Petroleum and Gas Engineering, allegedly collapsed and died after consuming a drug known locally as Colos, according to the Tribune.

According to students on campus, the drug is commonly used by youths involved in internet fraud, known locally as “Yahoo Yahoo.”

The deceased student was reportedly celebrating a recent breakthrough on an internet deal with his friends when he consumed the illicit drug that killed him. A student, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed the story.

When contacted, the Bayelsa State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Asinim Butswat, confirmed the incident, saying that the corpse has been deposited at the hospital for autopsy and that an investigation has been launched into the matter.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Butswat said: “On 3rd May 2023 at about 2200 hours, one Job Alawari Kei ‘m’ 19 years, a student of the Petroleum and Gas Engineering Department of Federal University Otuoke, slumped after intake of illicit substances.

“He was rushed to the hospital where he was confirmed dead.

“The corpse has been deposited at the Hospital for autopsy. Investigation is ongoing.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


It takes lots of money to inform, educate and entertain audiences, keep a watchful eye on the government as well as promote values that will benefit society through virile journalism.

We therefore request your modest donation to ensure that our news and other content remain freely available and accessible to all netizens.