Disregard death rumours of PAP delegate from alleged torture—Amnesty Office

Abuja—The Office of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) has described as false and misleading, reports on social media that one of its delegates, Pere Ebidouwei was brutalized by security agents attached to its annex office in Abuja.

The amnesty office in a statement on Friday, said contrary to claims, Ebidouwei was only disciplined after he engaged security operatives guarding the office allegedly in
a shouting match.

According to the statement, Ebidouwei who hails from Bayelsa State was asked to leave the premises of the office, since he was not on any formal invitation but allegedly refused and challenged the security agents to a fisticuff.

The PAP therefore, called on the general public to disregard “the falsehood being peddled concerning the incident.”

The statement read: “On Thursday, September 7, 2023, one Mr. Pere Ebidouwei, a phase 1 delegate of the
Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) from Bayelsa State had attempted to forcefully gain entrance into the annex office of the PAP
located along Buzi Close, Off, Amazon Street, Abuja.

“He was stopped by the security agents on duty and as customary asked to present a valid notice of invitation after he claimed to have been invited by a staff. The simple request got him infuriated. He started cussing and insisting that he must be allowed to enter.

“The security operatives sensing that he was intoxicated with hard substance and reeking of alcohol, decided to be more careful with him.

“Also, in keeping to their professional rules of engagement. But the harder they tried, the more the deliberate provocation.

“They decided to discipline him subtly to maintain sanity in the area as the scene was becoming very embarrassing to officials of the PAP and other nationals as well as foreign institutions with offices around the same vicinity.

“Surprisingly, Ebidouwei in what appeared to be a drama, pretended to have passed out. This led to the office arranging for quick medical attention on the orders of the Chief Security Officer.

“At the hospital, he was confirmed to be okay without any injury but a few bruises he personally inflicted on himself.

“For the records, Ebidouwei, unlike the falsehood posted on social media was not there to present any of his details as the office did not ask for that but was on a personal visit to solicit for financial assistance.

Also, the incident happened at the annex office and not the Head office that accommodates the Interim Administrator and some top management staff.

“We therefore call on the general public to disregard the falsehood being peddled concerning the incident. The young man did not die but has since returned to his abode after he was properly counseled.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


It takes lots of money to inform, educate and entertain audiences, keep a watchful eye on the government as well as promote values that will benefit society through virile journalism.

We therefore request your modest donation to ensure that our news and other content remain freely available and accessible to all netizens.