Abuja—The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited on Friday launched an applications platform to monitor crude oil theft in the country.
The company launched the app in Abuja at the signing of renewed Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs) agreements between NNPC and its partners in oil mining leases.
The platform ‘Crude Theft Monitoring Applications’ according to NNPC Limited was created for members of host communities and other Nigerians to report incidents of oil theft and get rewarded.
The Group Chief Executive Officer of the NNPC Limited, Mele Kyari, had in April disclosed that Nigeria lost $4 billion to oil theft at the rate of 200,000 barrels per day in 2021.
He said the country already lost $1.5 billion so far in 2022 because pipeline vandalism has escalated. Kyari said the country was losing 95 per cent of oil production to oil thieves at Bonny Terminal, Rivers State.
The federal government in its recent draft fiscal strategy paper for 2023 through 2025, presented by the Minister of Finance, Budget & National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, said that oil revenue underperformed due to significant production shortfalls such as shut-ins resulting from pipeline vandalism and crude oil theft.
Speaking at the launch Friday, Kyari said “the actions of vandals on pipelines have become a difficult thing to deal with. There are still ongoing activities of oil thieves and vandals on our pipelines and assets, very visible in the form of illegal refineries that are continuously put up in some locations and insertions into our pipeline network.
“Arrests have been made and vessels have been arrested by the Nigerian Navy, I commend the Armed forces, in the last three months, they have done substantive work and have destroyed some illegal refineries.
“First, we have created a platform where members of the community and other Nigerians can report whenever incidents of theft occur and also reward them, and keep it confidential and private.
“We at the NNPC will guarantee absolute privacy on any such report that comes and I’m directly managing this myself as no one will be exposed.”
Kyari urged companies to report suspicious sales even in the international arena.
“Secondly, on an international scale, companies must report suspicious sales of crude. Every oil that leaves this country has a unique registration number that is issued by the NNPC and also validated by the OPEC commission.
“And I know that the destination reporting framework has been put up by the Commission,” he said.
“Ahead of this, we are also creating a platform where end-users, particularly investors and traders, can validate the crude they are handling from Nigeria as their only source. And whenever they have no validation report, then they must world.
“If they don’t do this, as I always say, our companies are international, which means they are part of the riggers and whenever we discover this, we will take necessary actions against them.
“And I’m sure that our partners will cooperate with us, to make sure that this is done. That way we know that we are looking at the market and also curtailing our local issues.
“To ensure that we respond to this situation and this also, we can’t do without government engagement and involvement, particularly government security agencies and also members of the community.
“We have put up a very robust framework for ensuring that we curtail this menace and we are already seeing results. Needless to say, there are still ongoing activities of vandals in our pipelines or oil thieves on our assets.
“This is very visible in the form of illegal refineries that are continuously put up in some locations and also insertions into our pipelines network.
“We are reacting to it, we are doing many things surrounding it. There are massive actions by our government agencies just to make it clear to us,” he said.
Digital institute calls for implementation of Freedom of Information Act
Abuja—The Digital Bridge Institute (DBI), on Monday, joined other experts from government ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs) to make appraisal of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2011 and the challenges facing its effective implementation in the country.
According to a statement by the institute on Monday, the DBI management team to the one-day interactive workshop on the appraisal of FOIA was led by the Head of the Public Affairs Unit, Mr. Akin Ogunlade, who was also accompanied by Ms. Temidayo Olaloye.
The statement read, “The round-table solution-oriented workshop, organized by the Bureau of Public Service Reforms (BPSR) is to bring together stakeholders from the state and non-state actors to the interactive workshop to seek a better understanding of the Freedom of Information.
“According to the BPSR, the Forum is also to discuss the challenges facing its implementation, as well as proffer solutions to mitigating those challenges.
“The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has provided the public the right to request access to records from any federal agency. The FOIA is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government.
“The workshop has at least two nominees from all MDAs across Nigeria in participation and it was expected that recommendations reached by participants at the workshop, would be drawn up for actionable points to develop policy briefs for the government.”
Buhari’s intention to lift 100m Nigerians out of poverty intact—Minister
Lagos—The Minister of State for Power, Goddy Jedy-Agba, has reiterated the Federal Government’s determination to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty by 2030 through its Energy Transition Plan, ETP, according to the Daily Nigerian.
Mr. Jedy-Agba disclosed this during 2022 Nigeria Energy Forum Day 2, Virtual Edition, held on Monday following the Day 1 physical event earlier held in Lagos.
President Muhammadu Buhari had unveiled the government’s plans to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty by 2030.
Kachollum Daju, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Labour and Employment, said this when she addressed newsmen on Sunday in Abuja.
According to the minister, ETP will lift no fewer than 100 Nigerians out of poverty and drive the economic growth of the country.
“It will also bring modern energy services to the full population and managing the expected long-term job loss in the oil sector due to global decarbonization.
“The plan focuses on the rapid build-out of sustainable energy systems to tackle energy poverty in the nation,” the minister said.
He said in designing the plan, key targets from relevant policies and initiatives such as the 2020 Economic Sustainability Plan, the Nigeria Electrification Project, the National Decarbonization Programme, and the Presidential Power Initiative.
“The ETP is geared towards low-carbon development of Energy systems across 5 key sectors; Power, Industry, Cooking, Transport, and Oil and Gas.”
Mr Jedy-Agba said the plan had been approved by the Federal Executive Council and adopted as National Policy.
“An Energy Transition Implementation Working Group (ETWG) has been established to drive the implementation of the ETP along with key International Partners.
“The ETWG is chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and comprises of several key ministers including the Ministers for Environment, Finance, Works and Housing, Petroleum Resources, Foreign Affairs, and Power.
“The Working Group and its secretariat, the Energy Transition Office, have been engaging with in-country stakeholders, development partners, financiers, and the international community for the delivery of the plan,” he said.
He said the ETP analysis shows that delivering Nigeria’s net-zero target requires 1.9 trillion dollars in spending up to 2060, including 410 billion dollars above business-as-usual spending.
Speaking on the plan, Inga Stefanowicz, the Team Leader, Green Economy Co-operation Section, EU Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, said Nigeria was not standing aloof on the ongoing transition.
According to her, the EU will contribute some 400 million Euros worth of projects and programmes to the ETP.
“This amount may seem modest when compared with the needs and the ETP estimates, but it is also the role of our funds to act as catalysers of change, reforms, private sector, and international development finance investment.
“We are proud to have achieved such positive spillovers for Nigeria already and we look forward to working together more,” she said.
Machina defeats senate president, Lawan again in Appeal Court
Abuja—The Court of Appeal in Abuja has upheld the senatorial candidacy of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for Yobe North, Bashir Sheriff Machina.
According toSaharaReporters, the Appeal Court in a unanimous judgment affirmed the earlier decision of the Federal High Court, Damaturu which declared Machina as the rightful senatorial candidate of APC for Yobe North.
The court dismissed the petition filed by the ruling party for being unmeritorious and awarded N1 million to Machina.
President of the Court, Justice Monica Dongban-Mensem who delivered the judgement held that the lower court was right when it validated the May 28th APC senatorial primary election that produced Machina because it was duly monitored by INEC.
In June, a Federal High Court in Damaturu, Yobe State had declared Machina as the party’s senatorial candidate for Yobe North having emerged from a valid primary election that was conducted on May 28, 2022.
Though Lawan initially accepted the verdict and made public his decision not to appeal the judgement, he, however, made a U-turn and secretly sponsored an appeal at the Court of Appeal, Abuja.
SaharaReporters earlier reported that Lawan; the APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Adamu and some key officials of the presidency were working round the clock to upturn the decision of the lower court using President Muhammadu Buhari’s name to intimidate the Justices of the panel.
Machina won the primary election organised by the APC in May 2022, while Lawan opted to contest the presidential primary election organised by the APC in June.
Lawan lost the APC presidential ticket to former Lagos governor, Bola Tinubu.
However, Machina was asked to step down for Lawan but he insisted that he would not withdraw for the Senate President.
Amid the controversy, the APC submitted the Senate President’s name to INEC as its senatorial candidate for Yobe North.
Miffed by the development, Machina headed to court to seek redress. Specifically, Machina in his suit asked the court to declare him as the validly elected senatorial candidate of the APC for the 2023 election.
Justice Aminu nullified the parallel primary election that produced Lawan on June 9, 2022.
Consequently, the trial judge ordered the APC to forward the name of Machina to INEC as the authentic winner of the primary held in May.