Panic in Bayelsa varsity over fire outbreak

Yenagoa—There was panic on Wednesday on the campus of the Bayelsa State Medical University, BMU, in Yenagoa, the state capital, following an early morning fire outbreak in a hostel.

According to sources, the fire, which started at about 6:40 am at the female hostel of the university, is said to have been caused by an electric spark while a student was trying to iron her clothes.

The Daily Post reports that the alarm raised about the fire outbreak caused panic, with scores of students scampering for safety while others frantically moved valuables from the hostel.

Personnel of the Federal and Bayelsa State Fire Services reportedly responded to the emergency call promptly and succeeded in preventing the fire from spreading to other rooms on the block.

The Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu, and the Chief Security Officer, Prince Diete-Spiff, appreciated the officials of the two fire services for their prompt response to the emergency.

No life was lost or physical injury suffered, except for the destruction of belongings, including documents and clothes, among other items, of the occupants of the affected room.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


It takes lots of money to inform, educate and entertain audiences, keep a watchful eye on the government as well as promote values that will benefit society through virile journalism.

We therefore request your modest donation to ensure that our news and other content remain freely available and accessible to all netizens.